Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hut!

It's game day, y'all. Though I may get some flack for this decision, I'm fully supporting the Green Bay Packers.
Those Vikes ended up disappointing my purple pride pup last year and this year was just forgettable.
Plus, there apparently was a day when I was a GB fan:
Baby LuRuSo

This was also the time period when my parents dressed me like a boy. No wonder I refused to wear anything except frilly dresses, tights, and mary janes for the next eleven years.

A few weeks back, I went to see the Broadway play Lombardi at Circle in the Square with my pal LB. The play paints a portrait of the infamous head coach of the Packers ('59-'67), Vince Lombardi, through the eyes of a visiting reporter. This was the first time I attended a theatre event that had more men than women in the audience (and a longer line for the mens bathroom!). You could feel the fan power throughout the theatre and the recognition of names, places, events, and overall admiration for this team, its story, and the man that shaped it.
Granted, I was attending with a friend whose family had spray painted a giant green and yellow "G" onto their snowy rooftop one Superbowl year, so I was able to have any questions or confusion about the Packers history or inside jokes cleared up instantly.

If you google Vince Lombardi quotes, you will find many inspiring and well-known sayings about focus, determination, and winning, winning, winning.
Quite inspiring.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.”
-Vince Lombardi

When that Lombardi Trophy is presented this evening, I'll have a little smile on my face knowing a bit more about its namesake.

I left the theatre with a new respect for the Packers organization and its fans.
After all, there really isn't anything that compares to a Packers fan. Maybe a Badgers fan...
The thing is, there are a good number of people whom I love that love the Green Bay Packers, so how could I not root for the green and gold? Today, I'm a cheesehead:
Milwaukee Airport - Dec 2009

I certainly eat enough cheese to actually be one!

2 comments :

  1. Lucy, nice article. However, I take exception to your description of this Viking's season as forgettable! Maybe they didn't get the wins, but this has got to be one of the craziest seasons ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very valid point! I guess I would have liked to have seen the wins along with the craziness. Next year...

    ReplyDelete