Monday, August 12, 2013

Make 'em laugh!

Do you like to laugh?

If you've ever ventured into Times Square for more than just a picture of the M&M Store, you have probably been stopped mid-powerwalk by someone with a clipboard asking you the above question, in hopes of suckering you into seeing a comedy show that evening.

I usually respond with a quick "NO", not stopping my stride.

But, it's true - I do, I do like to laugh. How did they know?

Being a commuter on public transportation, I especially like to laugh as a distraction during my ride to and from work. Hence my request on Facebook a few weeks back for humorous reads - and boy, did you Facebook friends deliver.

It turns out Facebook is healthy and good for something!

I will forewarn you that some of these books are so funny, that you may embarrass yourself guffawing in close-quarters public transport. In fact, I had to save Bossypants for before bed and move on to Notes from the Underground when in public. No laughing there.

Okay for Now - Gary D. Schmidt
David Sedaris
Christopher Moore
Bossypants - Tina Fey
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) - Mindy Kaling
Children of God Go Bowling: A Novel - Shannon Olson
Jen Lancaster
Bill Bryson
Anonymous Rex: A Detective Story - Eric Garcia
Carl Hiaasen
Gawky: Tales of an Extra Long Awkward Phase - Margot Leitman
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation - Lynne Truss

Since we are on the subject of funny words, I must say that I've been delighted by Instyle Magazine's newish feature, Last Laugh, penned by actress & funny lady, Megan Mullally.
I'm posting all 8 published columns. They are that funny, it will be worth the scroll down.








I bet you laughed. And I bet you liked it.

No comments :

Post a Comment