Sunday, February 14, 2010

Be Mine

But don't give me this as a sign of your devotion:
Along Broadway in Hamilton Heights, NYC
February 14th, 2010

Why is this a Lucy Like? Well, for some reason these gaudy, poorly made (in China usually), and just-too-much gifts make me happy. Not for me, of course - but when I see some poor sap walking home from work with an item or two in tow it brings me an unidentified joy. Oh, suffocated unnaturally colored bear holding a messaged heart, why do you make me giggle? And you, Mylar balloon that may kill a sea creature some day, why does a smile cross my lips when I see a woman proudly walking you home? And let us not forget the red, white, pink, and perhaps lavender colored cliche roses with copious amounts of baby's breath filler, why, oh why, can I not help but feel good when spying you at every store and market on the 14th?

I don't know the answer. And that is the only thing that is magical about this stupid holiday for me.

I'm not a huge St. Valentine's Day fan, but I do hope you are given something that warms your heart today and makes you feel loved; whether that be a smooch, a homemade meal, a Gal-entine's Day (thank you Tina Fey and 30 Rock), time & thought from a special person, or yes...a commercialized, useless, and let's be frank, scary red & pink flammable bear.

Love to all.

2 comments :

  1. love to you too! Douglas and I went to Fresh Market on the way home from the airport and saw a line of high school guys getting their flowers wrapped for their respective people. I wonder if they felt any shame about being last minute larrys?

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had my homemade card painted and ready a week ago. I tend to obsess on these hand-painted cards b/c I'm always afraid I won't be able to come up with a good idea or execute it with paint. So far they've been hits, but the audience is pretty forgiving. This year I included a verse from Ogden Nash along with some suitably mushy stuff. I receive two very sweet cards from my Valentine.

    ReplyDelete