Monday, September 2, 2013

Great Grills

Not to brag, but I slept until 10:30am today. 10:30! It felt incredible. An unexpected Labor Day treat.

I hope you are having a non-labor intensive holiday. I was planning to have one last hurrah at the beach today, but based on the looming clouds and flash flood warnings popping up on my phone, I don't think it is happening. Maybe I will take that as a sign that today is not my last chance to get some ocean time before next summer...

To me, summer holidays are all about picnicking and grilling. Not such an easy task in New York City, so whenever I have access to the grill, I beg for every meal to come from it!

Recently, these were successful attempts. I somehow lost the majority of my pictures, so just imagine the crave-worthy results.

GRILLED FISH WITH CITRUS
Recipe HERE

The colors of this dish are what caught my eye. I marinated the salmon with similar ingredients to what is in the butter (with oil replacing the butter). We also did end up placing the fish (a whole filet, to be divided afterward) directly on the grill after the initial cooking time - I recommend this final touch. The fish didn't seem to thoroughly cook without this step and was much easier to handle as a whole piece.

photo: Johnny Miler

MUSTARDS GRILL MONGOLIAN PORK CHOP
Recipe HERE

After Bobby Flay raved about this recipe on The Best Thing I Ever Ate, it went directly on my 'to make' list. I had one attempt on my grill pan, but I knew firing up an actual barbie would really take the flavors and texture to the right level. 



Do not skip the mustard dipping sauce. The leftovers make a delicious marinade for other proteins or an upgraded mustard to be used in tuna salads or spread on sandwiches.

We paired the chops with a fantastic Wasabi Mashed Cauliflower side. I originally spied this combo on siriouslydelicious.com and every time I've made it, I've been so pleased with how the non-starchy veggie substitute really emulates one of my favorites foods - mashed potatoes. Find the recipe HERE.

GRILLED SHRIMP AND PINEAPPLE SKEWERS
Recipe HERE


Kabobs are fun and crowd friendly. The shrimp cooks very quickly, so be careful not to over-grill. All the flavors mellow out when charred - don't be afraid to pick a spicy hot pepper!

Our pineapple was perfection (which always helps), and we also added a trio of peppers to the kabobs.

Serve with a light salad and a fun summer rum-based cocktail.

POTATO SALAD
We also made a potato salad full of flavor based on THIS recipe.


 Ingredients
3 pounds small potatoes (we used a mix of white, yellow, and red)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard

1 teaspoon mustard powder
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 chopped shallot
1/2 bunch chopped green onions, green and white parts


Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Paprika


Directions
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Think 'al dente'!
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, and mustard powder. Set aside.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. Add the eggs, celery, shallot, and green onions (reserve a handful for garnish). Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature with a sprinkling of green onions and paprika.




Now that I am starving after writing this post, it is time to figure out dinner...

Happy Labor Day to All!


No comments :

Post a Comment