Sunday, October 24, 2010

Judging A Book By Its Cover

I'm in the process of editing and simplifying the material items in my possession. After a big move consisting of packing, hauling, re-packing, re-hauling, and unpacking tons of boxes full of STUFF, you realize that things like your musical theatre CD collection and all of your college textbooks might not be as sentimentally important as you once thought. 
That being said, I'm having a hard time giving up many of my beloved books. I still haven't jumped on the e-book bandwagon and I still pine for the feel, smell, and look of a real live book. Each time I am about to put a title in the "giveaway pile", a vivid memory pops up causing me to place the book right back on the shelf where it will undoubtedly be moved and hauled once again.
I remember Jen devouring Bridget Jones's Diary as one of her many reads during our EuroStar trip around Europe. Once it was my turn to read it and she had moved on to Ivanhoe, I finally understood why she was giggling all the way down the French Riviera.
I also remember seeing the movie in a London mall, where the screen was about as big as a household plasma and where I saw my first movie commercial before the previews began. I thought it was the oddest thing at the time!

I love Penguin's Ink series that features a few of their favorite books with nifty cover illustrations by tattoo artists. Bridget is looking good! She is a keeper, no?

No comments :

Post a Comment