Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Light in August

Have you ever noticed the light in August? It's...different. Somehow warmer, even when the air is cool.

The usual summer sights appear enhanced by this glow, like it has a filter.

It gives you a gentle embrace, making you believe everything is going to be ok.

 Every year I forget about this change until I'm struck by the image of an area that I thought I knew so well. I wonder why it feels unchartered, yet still familiar. Then I remember it's August.

“. . .in August in Mississippi there’s a few days somewhere about the middle of the month when suddenly there’s a foretaste of fall, it’s cool, there’s a lambence, a soft, a luminous quality to the light, as though it came not from just today but from back in the old classic times. It might have fauns and satyrs and the gods and---from Greece, from Olympus in it somewhere. It lasts just for a day or two, then it’s gone. . ." -William Faulkner

Thank you, August, for being that comforting light which both reassures and gives closure, readying us all to move on to a new season.

No comments :

Post a Comment