Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Earthy New York

Happy Earth Day 2014!

I was the kid who purchased 50 Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth and accomplished, yep, all 50. Probably in order. But it can feel overwhelming to try and be 100% crunchy granola when you live in the 21st century.

I still aim to be eco-conscious in my daily life by focusing on making small efforts and changes and turning them into habits. We all live in a crazy cool place and I want it to be around for a long, long time. What a world. Especially when you come face to face with the humbling beauty of places like Fort Tryon.

Fort Tryon is one of my favorite places on Earth. It is indeed my favorite place in NYC. In some ways, it feels nothing like the city. The people are too laid back, the only noise you hear are squirrels scrambling to bury their latest treasures, and there is more green than grey. But as you lean over the shimmering mica wall to glance at the mighty Hudson River, you notice another flowing system - the West Side Highway. It's the perfect balance between city and country and it has the most calming vibe in a beast of a metropolis.

Let me show you why...

Floral fountain.

A good place as any to practice your left hook.

Or watch the barges trudge upstream.

Mini joys.

Is there any flower happier than a daffodil?


Green + pink + yellow = SPRING!

I see the light.

Abloom, and about to bloom.

Stone archway.

Foliage archway.

Wrought beauty.

Vista.

Layers and depth.

Shiny, happy, people reveling in the first pure spring day.
The artist.

The artists.

Ooh, now that shadow is just asking to be a reading knoll.

The tree which provided the sculptural shadow with the GW Bridge chilling in the background.

My place.

Word.


No comments :

Post a Comment