Thursday, July 3, 2014

Heartland Table

I'm slightly addicted to cooking shows. I find the sounds of sizzling sautéing butter, wooden spoons rhythmically knocking against porcelain bowls, and sharp knives chopping through veggies very soothing. I'm inspired by the individual mix of craft and creativity, and am always up for the challenge of achieving a similar result in the LuKitchen.

This past year I stumbled upon the debut of Heartland Table, hosted by James Beard Award winner Amy Thielen. Amy grew up observing, consuming, and producing cuisine that was rooted in the hearty, familial, and quirky culture of Minnesota. After polishing those inherent culinary skills in some of the finest New York City establishments (specifically Bouley, Boulud, Vongerichten, and Gallante), she returned with her husband and son to homestead in a rural Northern Minnesota town only 20 miles from where they grew up. Oh, and she also had a few stints performing on a certain Eagan stage...

To me, the show is a mix of The Pioneer Women and The Barefoot Contessa with more warmth, rustic qualities, and winter. I mean, any chef that notes a recipe should have "the texture of a snow drift" and uses the phrase "namby pamby" on television is alright by me.
Did I mention I am also a fan of her bangs and outfits?

But cap sleeves and peasant blouses aside, let's focus on the most vital aspects - the food. The glorious food!

Don't worry - it's not hot dishes and jello molds. Although I'm sure if it was, the spread would be DELICIOUS.

Her recipes on the top of my to do list include:
Maple Bread with Soft Cheese

Cast Iron Carrots with Curry

Best-Ever Beer Cheese Soup

Blueberry-Lemon Pie

Or how about some Horseradish Ice Cubes to melt into your spicy Bloody Mary?

I don't know about you, but I'm hungry.

Until Season 3 premiers, I'll have to keep my heartland tastebuds satisfied by utilizing her cookbook, The New Midwestern Table. This is a must for your cookbook collection.
The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes

See? Another cute shirt.

No comments :

Post a Comment