Saturday, March 31, 2018

Easter Crack


If you are like me, you have a slight obsession with Cadbury Mini Eggs.

I mean, such a beautiful sight!

Every year I can't resist buying a bag - like, a big bag - and then I spend the rest of the season dreaming up ways to eat them, like HERE and HERE.


Well, this might be my favorite mini egg-themed treat thus far. I call it: Easter Crack. I know, that name sounds...wrong...but believe me, it's oh so right.

If you haven't had "crack" (well, dessert crack - the other crack is WHACK, ya hear?), it's basically saltine crackers or matzo with a layer of caramel followed by melted chocolate. Once it is all set, you break it into random bite sized pieces. And it is soooooooo addictive. Hence...crack. It can be jazzed up in all sorts of ways. The star of my Easter Crack is, of course, Cadbury Mini Eggs, but I also added pretzels and kettle corn for that perfect salty/sweet combo. 

It's quite silly saying this is a recipe as it takes almost no effort, but here ya go:

Easter Crack
1-2 sleeves saltine crackers (depending on pan size)
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 package chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet, but you do you)
Cadbury mini eggs, smashed
Mini pretzels*, kettle corn, or whatever your little Easter heart desires

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange a layer of crackers so they fill your baking sheet. In a saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar, stirring until boiling and slightly thickened and then remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour the mixture over the crackers, using a spatula or back of spoon to spread evenly over the crackers. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and as it cools, melt the chocolate chips (whatever your preferred method). Spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle any chosen toppings evenly over it, making sure they are settled into the chocolate. Cool for 2 hours in the fridge and then break into pieces. Enjoy!

*The only thing I would change is the shape of pretzels - the sticks easily popped off the surface when I broke it apart. Regular mini pretzels broken up or those round shaped ones would probably fare better.

Let's recap in pictures:







I would say how to store it, but honestly - this crack won't last. 

No comments :

Post a Comment