Monday, March 25, 2013

Beachy Keen

Someone's gotta do something about that groundhog. I don't know much about rodent forecasting, but I do know that enough is enough and winter needs to make an exit.
Last week, after one sunny day of respite, NYC received a slushy snow storm. Instantly, we were back to murk and gloom. I came home to a grouping of pastel balloons, caught high in the branches of a tree, being snowed upon, and unable to escape.

I knew how those balloons felt.

Supposedly, spring will come. It always seems to.

In the meanwhile, my thoughts go to the tropics.
Anguilla

I try to remember being "too hot" and remedying that by jumping in some form of water. 

Here are some small tricks to bringing the tropics to you.

You know that feeling after a day's swim in the ocean? It kind of feels and smells like this:

It's all about the mimosa blossoms.

Follow it up with this fragrance, which captures both the floral air and the warm sand of the beach. Plus, no sticky sunblock skin!

Fun reads. Put the latest New Yorker away. I'm talking US Weekly, people.
His/Her Selections (not trying to stereotype, this just happened to be the case on a personal level)

I love looking up and seeing this:
There is something so...classic beachside holiday...about a striped umbrella. Nautical stripes are all the rage in apparel, so don a shirt, shoe, or dress that screams I'm on vacation.



Whether you can finagle a grill set up on your fire escape or have a great hot dog joint down the block, treat yourself to something summery.

Just remember to wait 30 minutes before going back into the imaginary water.

I don't know why I never thought of this:
Of course, I'm not sure how to incorporate a sand castle midwinter, but at least you can use the tool to scoop yourself some ice cream and lick your woes away?

When you are as pale as me, you are going to slather on the sunblock and stick with the fake tan. I've never been very talented at applying self-tanner, but these wipes make it a kinder result. As long as you don't have to visit Lisa Vanderpump later on that day.

Then, there is the matter of drink. To feel beachy and tropical, I recommend pulling out the blender, fruit and little umbrellas. Something along the lines of this:

The more umbrellitas and unnecessary garnishes, the better.

Of course, there is always the old standby:
You put the lime in the coconut...

Until I feel actual sand beneath my feet, I'm going to take my big white puffy winter coat to the dry cleaners. See if Mother Nature takes a hint.

2 comments :

  1. I feel like I just went to the beach reading this! :) Can't. Wait. For. Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now summer is almost over! So sad...except I do love fall just as much!

    ReplyDelete